Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fruit Swirl Sangria

This elixer is unlike anything I have invented before. Delicious. Nourishing. Satisfying. Instead of alcohol this is spiked with Apple Cider Vinegar. You'll be giggling when you feel this running through your veins!

Fruit Swirl Sangria
Ingredients:
Juice Base:
1/2 Bunch Celery (around 4-5 stalks)
1 Grapefruit, peeled
1 Orange, peeled
3 Apples
6 Carrots 
1-2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar

Layer 1:
2 Cups Juice Base (above)
1 Cup Frozen Pineapple

Layer 2:
1 Cup Juice Base (above)
1/2 Cup Antioxidant Berry Mix
(or mixture of bluberries, strawberries, raspberries etc.)
Instructions:

Wash your fruits and vegetables with a quality produce wash or in water and vinegar. Rinse thoroughly.

Run the celery, grapefruit, oranges, apples and carrots through a juicer. Stir the apple cider vinegar into the juice.

Reserve the juice into a glass container and seal it tight (try to reduce oxygenation).

Be sure to add plenty of ice! This is really good chilled!


Now blend the ingredients for layer 1 and pour this into a glass of ice, about three-fourths of the way full.



 Now blend up the berry mixture, or layer 2, and carefully swirl it on top of the first layer in your glass so as to fill up the remaining one-fourth cup. Get creative, with experience you can create the most beautiful swirls!



You can see the bubbles forming from the apple cider vinegar, the color variations are so gorgeous. If you really wanted to impress someone with your new plant-based lifestyle, this would do the trick!

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a juicer! Waaaaah!

    It's my birthday this saturday (yeay me!) do you think it would be worth it to ask Paul for a masticating juicer? Do you like juicing a lot? Do you think it helps you feel good and lose weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love juicing. Especially when I lived in New Mexico, I drank Natalia Rose's green-drink (over ice!) every other day and lost 25 pounds that summer. That might have been because I was sweating all day long cleaning houses though.

      Delete
  2. I want to drink this right now, I am so thirsty and it is so HOOOOT outside!....and inside too...boo.

    It looks like one of those $5 special drinks at a hoity toity restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom says that when she is consistenly juicing it is the only time she ever feels hydrated. This is a very hydrating drink. It seems to fill a void that nothing else can...

      Delete
  3. If you do not have a juicer, but you have a citrus juicer, then use orange and grapefruit juice as your juice base and reduce the amount of apple cider vinegar. Then, follow the directions exactly the same. It should taste really good. So that would be 2 cups fresh pressed orange/citrus juice (try to use mostly orange juice) with 1 cup frozen pineapple for layer 1, then 1 cup orange/citrus juice for layer 2 + 1/2 cup antioxidant berry mix. It should look awesome and taste great, you just won't get the dimension of flavor/nutrition from the other fruit/veggie juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should you get a juicer? Well... I am hesitant to tell you 'yes' because if it ends up sitting on your counter you'll curse my name every time you see it!! LOL. I don't juice very often, but when I do, it makes me feel wonderful and I do notice weight loss (immediate inflamation reduction). I have yet to do it consistently. It has been a lifesaver for Mom. I want to juice more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, that is funny. Curse you!

    I want it, and I don't want it. I want the benefits, but I don't want to spend the money or do the work. Wow. That sounds horrible. I get so frustrated when I hear that LAME-O excuse from other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. But there is so much in our lives that we need a break in some areas. We need easy. This recipe is actually pretty easy though. It just seems complex because of the long instructions.

    ReplyDelete