Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sour Tropical Peach Mango + Supergreens Smoothie


Sour smoothie? Ehw!!! That's what you're thinking right? That's what I thought until I tried adding Apple Cider Vinegar into a green smoothie. Enjoy the alkalizing, cleansing effects of ACV and greens because it is sooo so so good :) For some reason this green elixer is calming and energizing at the same time.You will feel this pumping through your blood and it will make you happy :)

Be patient, it’s a lot faster to put this smoothie together then it looks!

Step 1 -Liquid Base:
1 ½ cup fresh pressed orange juice (about 4 oranges) or just add the oranges whole (peeled)!
½ - 1 cup filtered water  
½ cup pink grapefruit juice (about ½ grapefruit)
1 cup vanilla kefir, coconut kefir or yogurt
2-3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (depending on how sweet/sour you like it)

Step 2 - Greens:
2 Large Kale leaves
2 cups Spinach, compacted
1 Tablespoon Ormus brand Super Greens Powder

Frozen Fruit/other:
¼ cup frozen or fresh pineapple (I cut up fresh pineapple and freeze it in zip lock bags)
3/4 cup organic frozen peaches
½ cup Frozen Mango
1 packet orange flavored vitamin c packet (optional)
1-2 Packets Stevia (optional)
2 Tablespoons Chia or Flax Seed
1 handful of ice

You can also just use a tropical fruit blend to make the list of ingredients less daunting. Just replace the pineapple, peaches and mango with about 1 ½ cups of frozen tropical fruit medly. Costco sells a huge bag for around $11.

And almost any flavor of vitamin C powder should work, if you don't have any simply leave it out, it will still taste fantastic.
Add the fruit juice and water then the greens and green powder and chia seeds then the kefir, frozen fruit and ice and blend in a high speed bender such as the Blend-tec or Vitamix. Delicious!

If you don't have a high speed/power blender only add the greens to all the water and blend it, then after you make a green puree, then add the frozen fruit and ice.

11 comments:

  1. About how much mango do you like to put in? I want to make this since it has so many greens in it! And I think I have everything for this except the Vit. C in orange (I have raspberry only) and flax seed but I have flax oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn! I made some changes to the post. It should be complete now. I totally forgot to add how much mango! Thanks for pointing that out! And if you don't have chia seeds or flax seeds then just omit that. Chia seeds are my personal favorite in this one. You can add a tsp of flax oil if you want, I imagine that would work just fine :)

      Delete
    2. If you don't have a high speed blender I would blend flax or chia or any seed called for in a smoothie, with a coffee grinder and then add it to the mix already ground up. If you don't have coffee/spice grinder then just add an omega rich oil. And really you can leave the omega 3 (flax etc) oil out altogether and be fine.

      Delete
    3. Ok here we go...
      I only had 2 large organic oranges left so I juiced those and got 1/2 cup. So then I used organic apples juiced to equal 1 1/2 cup. So a little backwards. then I used 2 cutie mand. oranges to make up for not having grapefruit. Used the 1 tsp of flax oil, used 2 leaves of curly kale, spinach and 1 tsp of Ormus green pwdr. added 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract and wa-la! It tastes great! In the movie Fat, sick and nearly dead they challenge you to fast for 3 days on juicing. I might do that drinking this recipe!!! My twin girls always like to get involved! Ami sits in her wheelchair so that she can reach things better and pushes the blender buttons. They thought the frozen mango was ice so I gave each of them a frozen mango chunck to eat and they ate it! Camilla loves to play with water so she thought washing the kale and spinach was a blast!

      Delete
    4. Oh my goodness! I wish I was there having a girl pow-wow with you all! It sounds like you guys had so much fun! I love hearing that you guys tried one of my recipes and enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  2. Did you sign up for Bountiful Baskets? I didn't because I just need to wait for payday so I will sign up next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did! I got a 35 dollar organic basket with extra italian veggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a Bountiful Basket! (Said in a very whiny tone...JK).

    I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have bountiful baskets in New Mexico! The baskets are bountiful (full of fruits and veggies) not exsclusively in Bountiful UT LOL! Go to bountifulbaskets.org, click on "participate" and then select New Mexico and see if there is a group site in your county. The website accepts contributions from Noon on Monday to 10 pm on Tuesdays for the following Saturday. All the offers only show up during that time.

      Delete
  5. I totally forgot to write what I originally came here to comment on!

    Aimee your photography is so phenomenal! Wow! What an awesome picture -- I think I could reach out and just touch those spinach leaves.

    Girl, you've got skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashlee! Sometimes I try to force myself to stop but I'm too obsessed lol.

      Delete