Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Indian Mandarin Fruit Lassi


[Post Updated 09-25-2012]

I am a little bit crazy and obsessive over Indian Lassi's. I have fond memories of my Mom taking me to indian restaraunts on special daughter/mother dates when I was in high school. After missing them I set out to create one at home. A Lasi is a cold traditional Indian drink consisting of yogurt and milk and topped with cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and pistachio nuts. Often a Lasi will have fruit added to it. It is a cool and creamy drink with a delightful soured yogurt tang. Since Indian Food is often made very spicy and hot this drink is absolutely delicious with a spicy meal.

You can make it thin or thick by varying how much mandarin juice you add. I actually like to make this thin and pour it over ice and drink it with a straw. There is a restaraunt called Bombay Grill in Ogden Utah that I absolutely love. I usually get a Mango Lasi with my meal and this recipe tastes just like it! If you can't get a hold of a truly ripe mango, I learned that the trick is adding canned mandarin oranges and juice. Feel free to change this up however you like. When experimenting with this recipe I try to remember that it should be tangy, fruity, cold, frothy, rich and creamy! This version can easily be VEGAN. Please see my notes below.

Indian Mandarin Fruit Lasi  Serves 4

1 cup Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup vanilla or plain kefir OR Vegan Organic Soy Yogurt OR Nut Yogurt
1 large can mandarin oranges, juice reserved
1/2 Juice from the can of mandarin oranges (***you will need to add slowly until desired thickness is achieved)
2 small oranges, peeled or add the equivalent of fresh ripe mango slices
1 1/2 cups frozen peach or mango slices (or a combination of both)

Blend all ingredients in the blender and pour into glasses.

Top with a light sprinkle of cinnmon, nutmeg, cardamom (optional)
Crumble some pistachio nuts on top (also optional)

I like mine plain. Kind of like a yogurt smoothie.

Here is a picture of a traditional Mango Lassi:


You can add some ice if you like it super thick and cold. If you want to bring out the flavor of orange and peach a bit more squeeze a little bit of lemon juice into the smoothie and add a pinch of stevia.

Make it Vegan!
To make this vegan add coconut or organic soy yogurt instead of kefir but you may need to add a little bit more liquid such as orange juice, water or mandarin orange canned syrup to make up for how thick yogurt can be. You may also want to add a tsp of lemon juice to make it tangy like kefir would. For vegetarians, a really high quality kefir will give you beneficial probiotics and will impart a zesty tang that complements oranges peaches and mango really well.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful amazing art header!!! It's very eye-catching and entices you to want to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need more produce! I am all out of organic oranges! But this sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible, just tried only with just mandarin oranges, some canned and some real cuties and it tastes to die for! It is just like a creamsicle but with no milk. Amazing! Reminds me of the Carribean...dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually thinking that this would taste good as a salad dressing on spinach with some almonds? Does that sound wierd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, that might work but I would never have thought to do that! lol

      Delete