Tuesday, November 10, 2009


The Holiday's are nearing. I know because the trees give off a lush toasted smell and people are already putting up Christmas lights. Driving down the street in Riverdale I saw a home that was already decked out completely in festivities: lights, figurines...everything. I think about all that I have been through and how chaotic life seems to be and then I see these glowing lights humming about on draped glimmered string over foliage and rooftops--lights that seem to symbolize regularity, consistancy and celebration. That twisted part of me would rather buy a few white chocolate pecan cookies from Cutler's than to buy Christmas lights, and another equally daft part would rather watch a movie than to put up lights even if I got them for free. I am sort of a Grinch anyways. Despite all my attempts to unleash the celebratory spirit I am dreading the inconveniences of snow, money and schedules. Maybe, come December, I will melt into a little heap of warm spirits, presents, pine and cinnamon. But for now, I think I would rather mock the advertisements, taunt the mailman and keep my precious greenbacks.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! I feel the same way! I totally am a selfish ol'bitty who wants to keep my greenbacks, too. But I think Paul has you beat on the Grinch contest. Last year I laughed at him for an entire half hour while he grumbled and whined about helping me wrap Christmas presents for the kids and I sang to him, "He's a mean one, Mr. Grinch! His eyes are full of scum! I wouldnt touch him with a 49 and 1/2 foot pole!" He was able to laugh at himself with me. It was pretty fun. Maybe I'll buy him that movie for Christmas! Hahahaha I crack myself up! Hey we're coming to Utah for Christmas....now your Grinch days are really here!

    ReplyDelete